Tufts Medical Center’s Frances Stern Nutrition Center provides nutrition services, working with you to create a tailored plan based on your individual nutrition needs. The center recently celebrated national nutrition month by providing tips for a healthy way to diet along with healthy snack ideas, some of which we share here.
The Healthy Way to Diet
- Steady weight loss (1-2 lbs/week)
- Include a variety of foods as part of a balanced plate
- Don’t skip meals
- Listen to your body’s hunger and fullness cues
- Participate regularly in physical activity
Healthy Snacks Mix & Match
Whole Grain & Protein or Fat
- Mini Pizza: Top a whole wheat English muffin with a spoonful of tomato sauce. Sprinkle with light grated cheese. Toast or microwave to melt cheese.
- Parmesan Popcorn: Add ¼ cup grated cheese to a warm mini-bag of light popcorn.
- Nutty Oatmeal: Add a spoonful of chopped nuts or nut butter to plain instant oatmeal. Top with cinnamon.
Veggie or Fruit & Protein or Fat
- Veggies n’Dip: Cut veggies. Dunk in light dip or hummus.
- Ants on a log: Spread a spoonful of light cream cheese in celery sticks and top with a few peanuts.
- Frozen Grapes Galore: Freeze grapes overnight. Dip in a spoonful of peanut butter or sugar-free pudding.
Leave a Reply